So, you’ve met the girl of your dreams in a foreign place, and are looking to settle down in a new country, but don’t know where to start?
Moving to a new country can be a real challenge, but when all is said and done can be totally worth it – especially if it’s in the name of love for all the right reasons. Often, men from around the world decide to leave, work abroad, or retire in a foreign country and seek out a foreigner wife.
There are lots of reasons why the idea might sound appealing to you, from the cultural differences, looks, or even appeal of living in a new place. However, like any big change in life, it’s important that you prepare for and understand what you’re getting yourself into – especially if it’s your first time traveling abroad.
Though, have no fear, and find comfort in knowing that along the way you can use your new foreign wife to help you settle in, become accustomed, comfortable, and make the most of your move.
1. Before moving to a new country, especially if you’re going for more than a visit, it’s critical that you prepare yourself for and even practice if possible the native language to where you’re going. So, whether you have some experience speaking the native language or English is spoken, it’s always helpful to refine your skills to maximize safety, happiness, and can even help protect your wallet.
Often, men that marry a foreign bride will attend classes in their home country to practice and familiarize themselves with the native language. However, in many cases, you may find that it can be both cheaper, as well as more practical for you to study or take official language classes at a learning school in the country which you intend to move to.
This helps as you’ll also have a better chance of also picking up on the local “accent”, which can make a big difference when it comes time to communicate for the sake of navigating your new home and city – and of course with your foreign bride.
2. In some instances, you might find that the new country you’re going to live in with your foreign bride does not carry some of the essentials, electronics technology, or clothing you’re used to or require, so packing these before going can be especially helpful. The same goes for certain foods, seasonings, or other “must haves” that aren’t likely to be found – or are incredibly expensive due to import-costs.
3. Have you networked for possible jobs and study opportunities? Even if you’re retired, doing so can be helpful for keeping you busy, occupied, and happy. This also gives you the sometimes much-needed space, and sense of independence – since you’ll be leaving a lot of the responsibilities you’re used to back home.
4. What about residence and immigration? This is an integral part of moving to a new place, especially if you’re in the process of, or have already married your foreign wife.
This is why it’s so important and valuable to visit the country first before getting married, so you can familiarize yourself with the laws, rights, and expectations from immigration so that you do not run into any unwanted trouble or difficulties while living abroad.
Getting in touch with the local U.S. Embassy can be especially helpful, and it’s more than likely that they can help you get information on any required taxes or other obligations you’re still expected to fulfill once you’ve moved abroad and married your foreign wife.
5. It’s also a worthwhile investment of your time and energy to secure property or any other assets that you have, or intend to bring with you (such as your car) ahead of time, as this can both prevent unwanted hardship as well as unnecessary, added, or unexpected costs.
In some countries, it’s not possible to purchase property without being a resident. However, if you are getting married, or have already married your foreign wife it is possible that you may qualify to purchase and own property – especially if you have or are opening a business in your new home.
6. Last but not least, have you squared everything away back home? It’s helpful to, of course, communicate with your family, friends, and loved ones that you’ll be going away, where, and for how long – and your intentions.
Making sure you honor any other financial obligations, or set up payment plans to do so can help you in the long run – as often these issues can turn into a legal problem later on if not dealt with.
In fact, much like paying taxes if you neglect a serious financial commitment back home it could interfere with your immigration status in your new home with your foreign wife, and in a worst case scenario even lead to you being deported.
7. Most importantly, research, research, research – we cannot emphasize this enough. And while your foreign wife may very well live in a wonderful place, it’s always helpful to research other cities, or if you’re looking for a change of scenery to have a “Plan B” ready – just make sure you communicate this with your wife.
Marriage is a huge commitment, and communication is key. Marrying a foreign bride can seem intimidating, or even complicated – and rightfully so. So, when in doubt, don’t hesitate to connect with an experienced individual, or even professional (immigration or marriage lawyer) along the way.